Brats (or also called bratwurst) are a traditional kind of German sausage that is mainly made from pork or sometimes beef or veal. And now, this dish has become popular all over the world thanks to its smoky, savory and irresistible flavor. No matter which cooking style you’re going to cook such as boiling, smoking, baking, grilling or broiling, you always taste the best.
Normally, people prefer to grill or smoke than using stovetop because they worry about burning on the outside. To help you solve this issue, we will show a couple of ways as well as small tips so that your cooking brats on stovetop becomes easier. Sooner or later, you will discover that this way helps to add a great texture and flavor that you won’t get from the grill.
You can refer to other recipes.
Basic methods for cooking brats on stovetop
In order to bring the brats from grilling to cooking on the stovetop, make sure you prepare a cast-iron pan or a heavy-bottomed pan. And never use the grill pans or you might get an unnecessary hint of char.
- Step 1 – You need to simmer the brats with a mixture of wine/beer and broth first. Relying on that the flavor of the cooking liquid creates a little effect on the brats’ taste.
- Step 2 – Depending on the thickness of the brats, you can simmer them about 10 minutes or more until they attain 1650F in the middle.
- Step 3 – Take the brats from the mixture and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Step 4 – Prepare the pan as we’ve mentioned above. Turn the medium heat and add a bit of butter or oil in a pan.
- Step 5 – Remember to dry the brats with a paper towel before putting them in the pan. Sauté all until acquiring the crispy exterior, about 4-5 minutes.
- Step 6 – Take them from the pan.
- Step 7 – Mix the cooking liquid and pan drippings together and then simmer it until getting a thick sauce.
- Step 8 – Place the brats on a dish, pour the sauce over it and serve hot.
Instead of simmering the brats before cooking, this method allows you to put each sausage on the pan directly.
- Step 1 – Preheat the pan over medium-high heat. Then add oil or butter.
- Note: We prefer the butter because it makes the brats more flavorful.
- Step 2 – When the butter turns light brown, start pan-searing the brats until they have a deep golden-brown color. 3 minutes for each side is perfect.
- Step 3 – After searing the second side, you need to flip the brats one more time and turn the heat to medium-low for cooking about 5 minutes. Remember to cover the pan with a lid.
- Step 4 – Later, continue flipping the brats and cook about 2-3 minutes. This makes the brats attain the right internal temperature.
- Step 5 – Serve hot with chili sauce.
Other methods for cooking brats on stovetop
Aside from two basic methods above, there are a variety of recipes for preparing the brats. Follow us and find out now!
# Poached brats with beer
- Step 1 – Prepare necessary ingredients including bratwursts, one medium-sized chopped onions, and 6oz. of dark beer first.
- Step 2 – Start melting the butter in the hot pan. Make sure the butter covers the whole bottom of the pan.
- Step 3 – Stir the chopped onions until all turn into a brown color.
- Step 4 – Put the brats in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes for each side.
- Step 5 – When both sides of the brats come with the nice brown color, pour the beer, cover with the lid and turn down the heat to the medium-low.
- Step 6 – Let the beer penetrate into the brats for about 15 minutes.
- Step 7 – Stop cooking and serve everything hot in the dish.
Or you can try another way by watching this video below.
# Braised brats
Basically, this method is similar to poaching. So, if you love enjoying the tenderness of the brats, these ways are ideal.
- Step 1 – After adding butter to the pan, start sautéing the brats until acquiring the brown color and crispy exterior. Then set them aside.
- Step 2 – Continue sautéing 1-2 cups of mirepoix till they’re caramelized and brown.
- Step 3 – Pour a little wine/beer and some cups of stock in order to deglaze the pan. Next, add black peppercorns, a bay leaf, chopped herbs and turn the heat to low.
- Step 4 – Put the brats into the pan and continue adding peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
- Step 5 – Cover the pan and cook until the bratwursts acquire 1650F.
- Step 6 – After 10-15 minutes, just take the brats from the pan and continue simmering the liquid until attaining the thick sauce. Don’t forget to season it with a bit of salt.
- Step 7 – Serve hot.
# Curried brats
- Step 1 – Sauté chopped onions and mustard seeds in the vegetable oil.
- Step 2 – When all get a brown color, add a tablespoon of curry powder, a pinch of nutmeg, anise seeds and white pepper.
- Step 3 – Cook this mixture on the low heat about 3-5 minutes.
- Step 4 – Serve it on simmered and pan-seared brats and French fries.
# Brats with sauerkraut
- Step 1 – Pan-searing the brats in the pan on the stovetop and then set them aside.
- Step 2 – Chop some pieces of bacon and cook it with 1-2 cups of sliced onions. Make sure that the heat is low so that the bacon is totally cooked.
- Step 3 – Add allspice, ½ cup of Riesling, black peppercorns, juniper berries, some bay leaves, a large chopped apple, and pounds of undrained sauerkraut into the pan.
- Step 4 – Simmer this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Step 5 – Return the brats and continue cooking about 20 minutes.
- Step 6 – Serve hot with whole-grain mustard if you like.
In a word
For cooking brats on stovetop, we believe that you never meet any troubles of burning on the outside as well as worrying about the raw inside after reading this article. Wonderfully, you can consult and learn some amazing recipes to prepare the greatest brats for your family.
And in case you want to know anything about this topic, don’t mind sending your comments in the box below. We’re always here to support you.