Aside from salmon, tuna is known as one of the fatty fishes that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acid. And you’re recommended to eat twice or more every week according to the American Heart Association. However, some wonder whether they should eat the fresh tuna or the frozen tuna.
The truth is that the frozen tuna steaks are better than the fresh one since they can last from 7 to 10 days when buying at the supermarket.
Today, I will show you some easy and delicious ways for cooking frozen tuna steaks so that you can taste a powerful flavor and meaty flesh. Before getting started, you need to learn how to thaw the frozen tuna first.
You can also learn how: Forbidden Rice Cooking Instructions
A clear guide to thawing
To keep the high-quality from frozen tuna while defrosting, the best way is to thaw it in a refrigerator overnight. Make sure that you don’t put the tuna steak at room temperature or the bacteria will appear and increase the chance of food poisoning.
But, if you’re forced by time, you can speed up the defrosting process with cold water. However, you need to put the tuna steak in a sealable food-storage bag before placing it in the bowl. After every 30 minutes, change the water until the frozen tuna completely thaws.
Cooking frozen tuna steaks
One of the most important things that you should know before and after handling raw tuna fish is to wash your hand with soap. Relying on that, you are able to prevent contamination of other food items. And don’t forget to clean surfaces after preparing the raw food and before preparing other ingredients.
Last but not least, remember to pat the tuna steak dry with clean paper towels before cooking it in any recipe. Now, it’s time to learn some recipes in order to cook frozen tuna steaks for dinner.
One of the easiest recipes that you can carry out in some minutes is to bake the tuna. First of all, you need to preheat the oven to 4500F. Then put the tuna steak on a piece of aluminum foil and season it with salt, pepper, and herbs. Wrap and put it in the center of the oven about 10 minutes or more, depending on the thickness of tuna.
After that, remove it from the oven and check whether the tuna is cooked or not. Make sure that the flesh is flaky and opaque when pressing it with a sharp knife.
Take a look at necessary ingredients first:
- 4 tuna steaks
- 1 tablespoon of honey, olive oil, and soy sauce
- 1 red pepper, green pepper, and red onion
- 6-8 button mushrooms
- 4 spring onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ ounce fresh ginger
Then, let’s start cooking:
- Mix honey, olive oil, and soy sauce in a bowl and then dip the tuna into it. Make sure you cover both sides thoroughly.
- Put a frying pan on the stovetop, add a little oil and heat it.
- When seeing the smoke, place the tuna and sear it for about 3 minutes per side.
- Next, start making the vegetables.
- Slice all of them before putting in another large pan. Then stir gently and evenly.
- Remember to add soy sauce and ginger to increase the flavor.
- Put the cooked tuna steaks on the dish and serve with the stir-fry vegetables.
This recipe is quite ideal for feeding a small group if you are going to celebrate a small party in your backyard this weekend. I’m sure that your friends or kids will love it.
Please prepare some ingredients:
- 6 tuna steaks
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Vegetable oil
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Ground black pepper and table salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or rosemary leaves if you like)
And here are directions to cook this dish
- Prepare a charcoal smoker/grill and permit to burn the charcoals until they are completely ignited.
- Meantime, start mixing vinegar, mustard, honey, thyme (or rosemary) and ½ tablespoon salt in a bowl. Remember to slowly add oil to the mixture while mixing so that it becomes thicken and emulsified.
- Take ¾ cup of mixture for cooking the tuna and reserve the remaining for serving.
- Start brushing both sides of the tuna with the mixture and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Then grill the fish about 1 ½ minutes or until it is opaque.
- Carefully and gently flip the fish and continue grilling the other side about 1 ½ minutes (for rare) or 3 minutes (if you prefer medium-rare).
- Bring the grilled tuna to the plate, pour the remaining sauce, and serve instantly.
At first, you need to find some ingredients:
- 4 tuna steaks
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce and sesame oil
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup white sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
And let’s cook
- Mix the black and white sesame seeds on a dish and expand in a thin layer.
- Mix the soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl and use a spoon to sprinkle the mixture over each tuna’s side. Remember to season with the black pepper and repeat for the other side.
- Continue dredging the tuna’s sides in the sesame seeds until they cover all the fish completely and evenly.
- Place a heavy pan on the stove top, add a little vegetable oil and heat it.
- Start putting the tuna into the pan and sear until the white sesame seeds turn into a little golden color. It often takes about 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side.
- After that, cut the tuna steaks into thin slices, add fresh greens and garnish sliced scallions on top.
- Remember to prepare wasabi and soy sauce for dipping or steamed rice on the side to eat with.
If you don’t want to miss a strong fishy flavor and meaty texture from the tuna, be quick to arrive the nearest supermarket, buy some, and start cooking frozen tuna steaks now. Hope that this article gives you enough information as well as delicious recipes that you can easily follow.