Forbidden rice (also called black rice or Emperor’s rice) is an ancient grain that has more incredible health benefits than any closely related rice variations. Furthermore, it’s the kind of rice that is richest in intense disease-fighting antioxidants. What’s more, it holds a large number of anti-inflammatory properties, dietary fiber and has the ability to stop the development of cancer, diabetes, weight gain, and heart disease.
So, have you ever tried the forbidden rice before? If not, the time is now. Just visit the supermarket and grab a bag of this rice off the shelf. Then I will show you the forbidden rice cooking instructions so that you can prepare the nutritional rice for your beloved ones.
Besides, if you’re interested in learning other recipes to diversify your meal here.
Ways to prepare the forbidden rice
Before getting started, please remember a couple of basic things. This kind of rice takes a longer time to cook than the white rice, even the brown rice. It’s about 60 minutes, but you can decrease the cooking time if soaking the rice ahead of time. And if the rice is cooked perfectly, you will get a nutty flavor with a soft texture.
- Step 1 – Put the rice in a bowl and wash it with cold water. Remember to rub the rice with your hands in order to remove starches as well as preventing the rice from sticking.
- Step 2 – Let the rice sit and strain it. Make sure you perform 2 or 3 times.
- Step 3 – Run the forbidden in the cold water and let it sit overnight. This helps you cook the rice quicker and guarantees that the rice doesn’t stick together. However, if you don’t have time, it’s still okay after washing the rice 2 or 3 times.
- Step 1 – Put a large pot on the stovetop, then add the water and the forbidden rice. Or in case you want to get a saltier taste, you can try chicken, beef or vegetable stock.
- Step 2 – Turn on the heat and bring the water to a boil. Then decrease the heat, cover the pot and leave it to cook for 25 to 40 minutes. Or until the water is absorbed.
- Step 3 – Turn off the heat and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Step 4 – Use a fork to fluff the rice and serve.
Use the rice cooker to
Some suggest that cooking the forbidden rice in the rice cooker is not effective and you won’t get a flavor as you want. But, I reckon that using the rice cooker is easier as long as you follow my instructions below.
- Step 1 – Add a moderate amount of rice to a big bowl.
- Step 2 – Pour lukewarm water until it covers the rice totally. Then mix it around with your hands.
- Step 3 – Strain the water or you can use a mesh sieve to avoid losing any rice kernels. Repeat 3 or 4 times and make sure there are no excess starches. This allows you to cook the rice accurately.
- Step 4 – After draining the rice, put it in the rice cooker. Next, add 1 and ¾ cups of water or stock for every cup of the forbidden rice.
- Step 5 – If your rice cooker is equipped with a brown-rice mode, use it. Otherwise, you need to set the timer for 25 minutes. Then take the lid away in order to release the excess steam.
- Step 6 – Finally, serve hot.
Some recipes to cook with the forbidden rice
There are a variety of recipes that you can choose to cook with this kind of rice. For instance, make a cold salad or add it to stuffing or make a pudding or eat with a side dish. Of course, all bring a stunning and nutritional taste.
Below are a couple of ideas so that you try.
Forbidden rice risotto
The version of the forbidden rice risotto doesn’t only give the more classic flavors but also provide a truly astonishing color on the plate. Find out how to cook it now!
- Step 1 – Add 6 cups chicken broth into a saucepan and bring it to a simmer over the medium-high heat.
- Step 2 – Meanwhile, start heating a tablespoon of olive oil in another saucepan over the medium heat.
- Step 3 – Add one diced onion and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Step 4 – Continue adding 1 ½ cups forbidden rice and stir in 1 minutes.
- Step 5 – Reduce the heat to medium-low, pour ½ cup of white wine and stir about 3 minutes.
- Step 6 – Ladle ¾ cup hot broth into the rice and stir continually within 6 to 7 minutes.
- Step 7 – Continue ladling ¾ cup broth and cook for 50 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Step 8 – Taste with a bit of salt, pepper, and ½ cup parmesan.
- Step 9 – Serve the cooked rice into bowls and top with the sliced basil leaves and parmesan if you like.
Forbidden rice with Shrimp
Since the forbidden rice is mainly served and eaten as a side dish, you’re able to combine with different food to make a hearty dinner. Now, try cooking this rice with shrimp via following my easy-to-do recipe.
- Step 1 – Start cooking the forbidden rice as I have mentioned above.
- Step 2 – Mix 4 minced cloves of garlic, 3 minced chilis, ginger, 8 tablespoons fish sauce, 4 tablespoons lime juice, 4 tablespoons sugar and 8 tablespoons water in a large bowl. Whisk well to make the sauce.
- Step 3 – Fill a pot with a half of water and then bring it to a simmer on the stovetop. Remember to add a bit of salt and lemon juice before putting about 60 grams of peeled shrimps.
- Step 4 – About 3-4 minutes, transfer all the shrimps to another bowl of ice. Leave about 1 minute and then drain them.
- Step 5 – Serve the rice and shrimp on a dish and top the sauce.
Forbidden rice pudding
Aside from serving as a common breakfast in some regions of Southeast Asia, the forbidden rice pudding is also a great dessert. If you want to enjoy a thicker and flavorful taste, learn how to do it now.
- Step 1 – Rinse and drain the rice under the clean water before adding to a large pot.
- Step 2 – Pour ½ cup coconut milk, 1 ¾ cup almond milk, sea salt, and 2 cups water.
- Step 3 – Bring it to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover with a lid.
- Step 4 – Cook within 1 hour and remember to stir a couple of times during the last 30 minutes to avoid sticking.
- Step 5 – Ladle the rice into separate bowls and top with anything you like such as banana, coconut or blackberries.
- Step 6 – Save all in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for 4 days. Then enjoy it anytime you want.
In a word, the forbidden rice is a great source of nutrients, vitamins, and more. Furthermore, its chewy, nutty, and sweet taste can make any meal delicious and stunning. So, hope that this article gives the basic information about forbidden rice cooking instructions as well as helping you to find some great recipes for the upcoming dinners.